The Telegraph, Business News Editor
The Telegraph business team covers everything from FTSE 100 companies to the best of the UK's small businesses, from house price data to macro-economic statistics, and everything in between.
The principal responsibility of the Business News Editor is to help drive the Telegraph Business team’s output - including breaking news, in-depth analysis and comment.
The main focus will be to identify the most important stories of the day, work with the team to guide how those stories can best be covered (with a particular focus on the paper) in order to appeal to the widest-possible audience in the most compelling format, and to help edit the copy.
- Responsible for monitoring the wires, stock market announcements and social media to spot and react to breaking news stories.
- Helping to compile the business news list for print and online.
- Working alongside reporters to ensure fast and accurate filing of stories.
- Writing and developing news stories across sectors as required.
- Editing and rewriting stories as required to make fit for publication.
- Working with the online news editors on how stories can be developed and adapted for print.
- Attending the various inter-departmental editorial conferences as required.
Essential skills required for the role
- Ability to edit, to write headlines and to sell a story - previous sub-editing experience would be ideal.
- Experience of reporting on news and developing stories on digital and print platforms.
- Proven ability to spot stories and opportunities from an array of sources.
- Experience of working with journalists to make good stories better.
- Demonstrable proof of the ability to tell stories in a concise but interesting way.
- Experience of covering either business and/or economic news in a newspaper, newswire or digital environment.
- Highly numerically literate.
Additional skills useful for the role
- Experience of using pictures to illustrate stories.
- Experience of working with data and graphics teams to commission compelling graphics and illustrations.
Click 'Apply' now.