Hearst, Deputy Sub-Editor - Temporary | Content Studio
We are looking for a Deputy Sub-Editor to join its branded content team, working across all Hearst brands.
You will be responsible for subbing copy to a high standard and making sure the articles are presented in a style and tone fitting with the relevant brand. You will also be responsible for making client amends to copy and occasionally writing copy when time allows.
The role will assist the Chief Sub-Editor in overseeing the production process of all pages, from copy stage through to sending pages to press.
- Assist the Chief Sub in managing the subbing of all print promotion pages coming through the Content Studio - running the production schedule and ensuring all deadlines are hit
- Sub-edit copy to a consistently high standard, editing copy to fit and providing captions, heads, sells and pull quotes in keeping with the style of the relevant brand
- Be a meticulous checker of facts and details, and be relentless in the pursuit of obtaining accurate information
- Rewrite copy where necessary, improving the flow, questioning what is missing or seems incorrect and filling in the ‘gaps’ to improve clarity for the reader
- Look at pictures when subbing text and make sure they work together, and that pictures are correctly credited
- Work closely with other members of the team - including Branded Editors, Art Directors and Project Managers
- Deputise for the Chief Sub in their absence
- Handle pages through the production process, from conception to completion
- Assist in managing the workflow of the team, anticipating resource challenges and problem solving as needed
- Help ensure on-time delivery of all branded print pages. This may involve chasing copy, advising freelancers and liaising with PMs on timelines
- Contribute as a writer, when time allows - writing original, engaging and factual copy for use in branded content
You will have extensive subbing experience on a consumer title and be dedicated to delivering clean, accurate copy. Direct commercial experience is a plus, but a strong understanding of and interest in the branded content space is a must.
IDEAL CANDIDATE WILL:
- Have demonstrable experience working as a Sub-Editor
- Have a first-class command of the English language
- Be meticulous and organised
- Be an excellent team player, yet able to work independently
- Have a proactive personality
- Have good interpersonal/interdepartmental skills
- Have an ability to manage stressful situations to a positive outcome
- Be confident in knowing which client amends to take on and when to push back
- Be aware of deadlines
- Be able to use and act on own initiative
- Be proficient in Word, In Design and Excel – Censhare would be a bonus
- Be familiar with Photoshop
- Be confident in switching tones frequently and be able to quickly adapt to brand styles
- Have a love of the Hearst brands and a passion for magazine publishing
Click 'Apply' now.