Daily Star Online, Senior / News Reporter
7 days left
- Full Time
Daily Star Online is seeking a News Reporter or Senior News Reporter to join our team at one of Britain's fastest growing national newspaper websites. We are looking for dynamic all-rounders capable of working to tight deadlines in our busy, integrated newsroom.
As a candidate, you should get a buzz from the thrill of covering the biggest and best breaking news and developing stories. Those who are social media savvy and able to turn their hand to every type of news will stand a greater chance of success.
Above all else, we want imaginative and enthusiastic journalists who are brimming with ideas. Experience on the nationals and/or in a digital news environment would be useful, as would local/regional newspaper or agency experience. Candidates must be NCTJ qualified or equivalent. This is an exciting opportunity to join a rapidly expanding digital news operation in our new London HQ.
We are Reach because it's what we do.
Every day our newsbrands - national and regional, in print and online - reach millions of people up and down the country. We are the UK's largest news publisher, with influential national newsbrands such as the Daily Mirror, Daily Express, Sunday People, Daily Record, and more than 100 distinguished regional titles.
Our brands have a long heritage of being trusted sources of news and information, with our editorial conviction and high standards of journalism providing audiences with timely information and opinion across multiple platforms.
Last year we sold 540 million newspapers, and our network of over 70 websites provide 24/7 coverage of news, sport and showbiz stories, viewed by 110m unique browsers every month.
- The successful candidate will cover breaking news, quickly, as it happens, ensuring it's as engaging as it can be.
- You will show an understanding of the website's key content and quickly develop a feel for the stories which work best for our readers.
- Use your contacts to pull in exclusive interviews and news stories.
Push content via Facebook and Twitter in accordance with the digital social media policy.
- Optimise stories in accordance with the digital SEO strategy.
- Write and edit in accordance with the digital house style.
- Read competitor sites and form a thorough knowledge of the content which works best for Daily Star Online.
- Monitor news wires and social media for content and breaking news.
The Ideal Candidate
- You will be a qualified and experienced journalist, possessing at least 18 months' experience at a national or major regional title.
- Passionate about delivering a wide range of news stories, from hard news to shareable, irreverent content, you will understand what works for a digital audience and deliver content to prove this.
- You must have sound legal knowledge, with first class editing, writing and subbing skills. You will relish the daily challenge of working under pressure and to tight deadlines.
- The successful candidate must be flexible as this role will involve working days, nights and weekends on a rota basis. You will be social media savvy with current SEO knowledge. Experience of a CMS and Chartbeat or Google Analytics is desirable.
In addition to competitive salaries, 31 days holiday (inclusive of bank holidays) and a contributory pension scheme, we also offer an interest free travel season ticket loan and subsidised gym membership.
Click 'Apply' now.
We are committed to equal opportunity for all. We may collect relevant data for monitoring as part of our candidate registration process. We will be reviewing applications as they are received so please don't delay in submitting your application.
Please note that we reserve the right to close the vacancy prior to the application deadline/closing date once a sufficient number of applications have been received.