Financial Reporting Council, Communications Manager
12 Months Maternity Cover
Communications, Strategy & Resources
The Financial Reporting Council (FRC) is responsible for promoting transparency and integrity in business. We are the UK Competent Authority for audit and set the UK Corporate Governance and Stewardship Codes as well as UK standards for accounting, auditing and actuarial work.
We monitor and take action to promote the quality of corporate reporting and operate independent enforcement arrangements for accountants and actuaries. Further information about the role of the FRC can be found at frc.org.uk.
The FRC’s Communications team manages the regulator’s internal and external communications. We use multiple channels to ensure FRC announcements, reports, speeches etc. reach stakeholders effectively. These include press releases, subscriber notes, social media, podcasts, videos and so on.
The team also maintains the FRC website and intranet. The team is part of the Strategy & Resources Division which provides central services across the FRC, including HR, IT, Finance and Economic Analysis.
The role involves:
- Building and maintaining excellent relations with key journalists in the professional, business media
- Speech writing for the CEO, Chairman and senior executives
- Event management working with the Head of Facilities
- Ensuring that the FRC's key publications and messages are communicated accurately, effectively and in a timely manner to journalists and other key stakeholders
- Managing the contact programmes for directors and other key spokespeople with senior journalists to ensure they meet the key people relevant to the FRC's work
- Contributing to the FRC's digital communications development, in particular by generating ideas for design and social media content
- Managing the FRC's relationships with providers of media to ensure that all staff and Executive Committee members receive timely and relevant information on media issues
The ideal candidate will have:
- Proven experience in a communications role, either in-house or in consultancy
- Ability to build and foster credible relationships with journalists, confident in handling hostile media enquires
- An interest in regulatory work in a business environment
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to transform complex information into clear and concise content for press and social audiences and speech content for the Chief Executive and others
- Ability to juggle several different responsibilities and meet tight deadlines in a pressurised environment
- Perseverance and tenacity
The role is based in our City of London Office. The post holder should be able to work flexibly to support the team’s activities and also provide cover within the FRC as necessary.
Rewards and benefits
- The FRC offers competitive remuneration packages, including 30 days annual leave plus ability to buy extra leave
- The FRC has a strong work/ life balance ethos
The FRC believes that equality of opportunity and diversity is important in the work that we do and we are strongly committed to being an inclusive employer.
Our values of being fair and independent supports this commitment. We're a signatory to the Government's Disability Confident scheme, which means that we guarantee an interview to any disabled candidates entering under the scheme, should they meet the minimum criteria for a role.
Equal opportunities monitoring is an important means of demonstrating and implementing our commitment to promoting equality of opportunity and diversity. Completing our diversity form will assist the FRC to identify any barriers that prevent access to employment and career development for certain groups of people, and to develop solutions, such as action plans, new policies and practices. The form is completed on a voluntary basis and we strongly encourage all job applicants to complete it.
Please click 'Apply' to complete the Diversity Form and to send a copy of your CV and covering letter to the FRC Recruitment team.
In the covering letter, please set out, by reference to the person specification above:
- how you meet the required skillset
- confirm your current package and benefits, and
- tell us where you heard about this job
The closing date for applications is 22 February 2018.