Ziff Davis, Commerce Writer - Technology
Ziff Davis is a leading global digital-media company operating in three core verticals: Technology, Gaming, and Shopping. This role will work across our portfolio of sites with the objective of creating commerce focused technology content for Mashable, PCMag and IGN.
The ideal candidate will be a trained journalist with experience of writing about consumer electronics and a good understanding of all areas of tech (especially Telco and TV).
You will also be proficient in digital content production in a CMS, have an understanding of how to optimise content for search and the ability to track metrics on stories to strategize future story ideas.
This role is ideal for someone who enjoys creating a narrative around technology buying decisions, is a born storyteller and a seasoned shopper, and has the ability to shift thinking between the two disciplines. Your content should drive top engagement and facilitate our company mission as “the most trusted purchase companion.”
We’re looking for someone who:
- Is an experienced tech journalist or writer, but more importantly is passionate about writing about the areas covered by our 3 core verticals: Technology, Gaming, and Shopping .
- Can competently write on a variety of different topics, has experience with both long and short form writing with the ability to adapt tone and style to that of the publication.
- Has an interest in finding the best deals on the best products and can describe the pros and cons of any given item with conviction.
- Understands and can articulate the differences between the UK and US consumer technology and Telecommunications industry
- Has lots of initiative and strong problem-solving skills. You demonstrate a sense of urgency -- you like to do things well and finish them quickly. When things aren’t working, you’re not afraid to try new things and pivot.
This will include, but will not be limited to:
- Write shopping and technology focused content for the UK market, with a focus on mobile phones and broadband providers.
- Work closely with US & UK editorial teams to ensure all content matches tone of the website and is structured to fully optimise organic search ranking
- Conduct self-lead research to identify the best deals and marketing opportunities.
- Track metrics on content produced and use data to influence future editorial decisions and product choices.
- Contributing to the ongoing evolution of “comtent” across the Ziff Davis portfolio.
- Bachelor’s Degree in English literature, journalism, communications or equivalent experience
- 1-2 years of experience in writing/editing digital content would be preferred
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to work in a fast-paced, data-driven environment
- Driven to hit traffic goals through creating quality content, optimizing for SEO and using online analytics tools (such as Google Analytics)
- A strong interest in covering topics such as deals, tech & gaming and lifestyle products.
- Flawless grammar, spelling, and usage
- Basic level understanding of Photoshop and working in Content Management Systems
- Adaptable with a positive, can-do attitude
- SEO knowledge a definite advantage
Please complete the application form below to send your CV, cover letter, writing samples and links to your social media accounts so we can see how you wield your content.
Mashable is a global media and entertainment company that’s passionate about culture and tech. With smart, spirited coverage of stories that keep people talking, Mashable reaches an audience of 70 million monthly users who can’t get enough of the ideas, people, and products they love. Together, our ideas shape the future. Obsess with us.
IGN Entertainment is the leading Internet media company focused on the video game and entertainment enthusiast markets. IGN reaches more than 151 million monthly users and is followed by more than 11 million subscribers on YouTube and 30 million users on social platforms.
PCMag has been the leading authority on technology buying, delivering independent reviews of more than 2,500 products per year that helps us identify the best (and worst) products so our readers can make the smartest buying decisions.