Digital Video Producer / Editor - Opinion, The Wall Street Journal - NY
The Wall Street Journal is seeking a producer/editor or 'preditor' to execute the new vision and strategy for video from the Opinion section.
This person will work directly with the Senior Opinion Video Producer and closely with the Opinion Digital Editor by producing, with regular frequency, original, opinion-led videos. This person will partner with the WSJ editorial Video team on seamless logistics and execution.
The videos will take on a variety of formats - one day, the focus might be working on a studio-based video with talent on-camera, the next, a graphics-heavy video essay, or editing footage from a field shoot for a documentary-style interview.
As such, we are looking for someone who is excited about being a jack of all trades and learning, sometimes while doing, all kinds of new things as the Opinion Video operation takes shape.
The ability to tackle multiple projects at once - and effectively manage time, quality and pressure while doing so - will be a foundational component of this position.
What the job will entail:
- Researching, pitching writing and producing opinion-led videos of interest to The Wall Street Journal audience
- Shape editorial pitches into video concepts and help to coordinate shoot logistics
- Generate video targeted for multiple platforms including, but not limited to, wsj.com , YouTube, Instagram, Snapchat and Facebook
- Execute projects with efficiency with awareness of achieving overall video goals.
- Paying attention to the news cycle to plan for upcoming projects.
Strong candidates will have the following skills and experience:
- Shooting, editing and motion-graphics skills/experience (a must).
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite including Premiere, Photoshop and After Effects.
- Audio/podcast editing/production experience (a plus).
- Expected to work a flexible schedule, including evenings and weekends, as necessary based on developments in the news cycle.
- Fast and capable editing with a track record of making sound judgment calls under tight deadline constraints and quickly turning around high-quality, topical video content that is factually sound and free of errors.
- The ability to research and source material
- As the preditor will be helping prepare scripts for professional journalists, excellent writing skills, that are demonstrated in your error-free cover letter, resume and/or portfolio, are an absolute must-have. Typos and poor grammar in your application will be a non-starter.
- Knowledge of current events, U.S. politics, geopolitics, economics, foreign policy, history, and a nose for news a plus.
- A deep understanding of professional video operations and equipment.
- Minimum 2 years of experience in digital editing or video production in a professional environment (internships may be sufficient).
Click 'Apply' now.
Dow Jones, Making Careers Newsworthy
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. EEO/AA/M/F/Disabled/Vets.
Dow Jones is committed to providing reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities, in our job application and/or interview process.
If you need assistance or accommodation in completing your application, due to a disability, please reach out to us at TalentResourceTeam@dowjones.com. Please put "Reasonable Accommodation" in the subject line.
Dow Jones is a global provider of news and business information, delivering content to consumers and organizations around the world across multiple formats, including print, digital, mobile and live events.
Dow Jones has produced unrivaled quality content for more than 125 years and today has one of the world's largest news gathering operations globally.
It produces leading publications and products including the flagship Wall Street Journal, America's largest newspaper by paid circulation; Factiva, Barron's, MarketWatch, Financial News, DJX, Dow Jones Risk & Compliance, Dow Jones Newswires, and Dow Jones VentureSource.
Dow Jones is a division of News Corp (NASDAQ: NWS, NWSA; ASX: NWS, NWSLV).