Political News Platform, Reporter
We are building a startup news and campaigns platform focused on defending democracy against the rise of populism, extremism and nationalism.
This new platform will keep its audience engaged through a daily diet of political intrigue, clickable analysis and hard-hitting exclusives. Unlike other news sites, this project will also run high-impact campaigns – coalescing an engaged, active community of supporters, and making the case for democracy, diversity and human rights.
Our founders include leading experts in journalism, public policy and digital campaigning. We are now recruiting a team to launch and run the platform from April/May 2019.
You will be a founding member of the team and this is a career-shaping opportunity for you to be part of an innovative news brand. You will need to be decisive, ambitious and happy to take risks. You will need to work hard and learn fast.
Bringing your journalistic experience to bear, you will work with our launch team to build an emotionally compelling, entertaining and highly shareable product that captivates the attention of the Westminster village, other newsrooms, and a growing audience in the country at large.
As the reporter, you will be a visible ambassador for the platform. You will write daily bylines and will get the opportunity to work on prominent long-form features and investigations.
We will have no party political affiliation and we seek team members who are comfortable working in a non-partisan context.
- Contributing to daily news output, predominantly by writing breaking stories for the website.
- Producing regular features and hard-hitting investigations that outflank competitors.
- Working with the editor to create content for social media, including short videos and graphics.
- Collaborating with the editor and campaigns manager to build and promote impactful online campaigns.
- Contributing to regular email campaigns and newsletters.
- Acting as a representative of the platform on social media.
- Assisting the editor in long-term editorial planning.
- Developing contacts across Westminster, the public sector, media and business.
- Conducting background research when required.
- Some early morning, evening and weekend working will be required.
- Experience writing for a professional media outlet, preferably specialising in news.
- Excellent political and news judgement, with an ability to spot original angles and shareable stories.
- A deep understanding of current affairs, with a particular emphasis on the rise of populism and nationalism at home and abroad and the campaigns to defeat them.
- An ability to find stories through a variety of sources, including: social media, TV news, podcasts, and foreign media.
- A flair for writing and a desire to create engaging, dynamic news stories.
- An ability to create stories that launch and propel online campaigns.
- A good understanding of social media, and particularly how social media is used by politicians and the media.
- Excellent time management skills and good editorial judgement under pressure.
Desirable experience/other attributes:
- Experience of image and video editing, and/or an eye for design and an appreciation of how media platforms use visual content.
- Experience working for a new media platform.
- Experience of working on investigations or an understanding of investigative techniques.
- Experience of writing features and interviews.
- Knowledge of SEO and headline writing.
Apply by completing the application form below.
Deadline: 10am, Monday 1 April