Mashable, UK Editor-in-Chief
Mashable is seeking a tenacious and inspiring Editor-in-Chief to lead a growing team of journalists from the company’s UK headquarters in London.
The ideal candidate has a strong track record of producing original journalism and is a digital leader with in-depth knowledge of growing audiences and producing content for the connected generation across platforms.
In addition to being an exceptional journalist, the ideal candidate will also have a strong commercial acumen. They are someone who can effectively streamline resources and coordinate and diversify editorial output subject to commercial requirements and changes in the media landscape.
The UK Editor reports in to the Managing Director for Ziff Davis in London and will work closely with international teams the US, Europe and Australia.
Key editorial responsibilities:
- Manage Mashable UK’s editorial team of reporters and video producers in London.
- Implement Mashable’s mission statement and execute its editorial vision on site and across platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat and YouTube
- Make data driven decisions and identify stories relevant to the Mashable audience
- Develop and nurture new talent
- Edit and publish a range of stories from breaking news and fast turnaround written articles to short shareable videos, to long-form, in-depth investigative features and documentary series.
- Contribute to the journalistic output of the brand, leading by example.
- Collaborate daily with the company’s international teams and section editors in the US, Europe and Australia.
- Represent Mashable externally participating in speaking engagements and media appearances.
Key growth responsibilities:
- Grow Mashable globally and in the UK across a range of digital spaces for the Mashable audience demographic.
- Identify and grow audiences and new forms of content distribution.
- Have in-depth knowledge of data analytics tools such as Chartbeat, Omniture and Google Analytics to measure success and to forecast and set KPI’s
- Knowledge of SEO.
Key commercial responsibilities:
- Foster collaboration between the company’s commercial, integrated marketing and commerce teams where appropriate.
- Devise and implement a long-term commercially viable editorial strategy and shape the company’s editorial focus and brand identity.
- Manage annual budgets for UK P&L for editorial including salaries, promotions, travel, freelance and other expenditure.
- Build and maintain relationships with brands, platforms and other publishers.
Minimum Requirements for the role
- Experience as an Editor for a well-known content brand.
- Team management experience essential.
- Demonstrable commercial acumen.
- Track record of original content production.
- Evidence of organizational and communication skills.
Mashable is a global, multi-platform media and entertainment company. Mashable is the go-to source for tech, digital culture and entertainment content for its dedicated and influential audience around the globe. The Mashable UK team works from a fun office in a vibrant part of East London.
Applicants should click 'Apply' to submit their CV along with a covering letter no more than one page long stating their suitability for a role. Applicants without all of the minimum requirements will be rejected, so please only apply if you satisfy all of those criteria.