i, TV Editor
Purpose of job:
A newly created role that reflects i’s commitment to covering TV in a way that is distinctive, intelligent, and both reflects and drives forward the conversation around the TV shows that matter.
Reporting in to the Arts Editor but working closely with Digital team and SEO Editor, you’ll work across print and online, with a focus on writing and commissioning news stories and features that delight our audience.
i news is the fastest-growing news site in the UK. We’re looking for an ideas person who wants to keep pushing things forward, seeking out new readers and coming up with new ways to keep readers engaged.
The role is based in our Derry Street office.
i is Britain’s brightest and newest national newspaper. It was bought from ESI Media in 2016 and has evolved into a highly successful standalone title, bolstered last year by the relaunch of the iweekend edition.
We are currently on a recruitment drive so we can produce even more of our own original content. The inews.co.uk website has embarked on a period of steep growth.
Last year its audience grew by 457%. The i’s editorial staff has grown every year since its launch to match the audience and financial success of the brand across all platforms.
Key areas of responsibility:
- Decide what TV shows we write about each day, taking cues from search trends as well as your own instincts.
- Write and commission daily pieces for print and online on the TV shows people are talking about.
- Come up with distinctive ways to cover TV. Reviews and episode recaps have their place, but we want our TV coverage to stand out from the crowd.
- Write and commission longer term features and comment pieces. Go beyond star profiles to illuminate the broader issues foregrounded by popular TV shows.
- Build contacts in the industry to ensure we are being sent previews and offered exclusives.
- Monitor how your stories are performing, to ensure we understand what is resonating with our audience.
- Create content that drives the growth of our online audience.
- Plan coverage of major events in the calendar, eg awards shows.
- Edit TV articles by freelance contributors.
Qualifications and Experience:
The successful candidate will:
- Have strong TV experience on a national or major regional title, and in digital publishing.
- Have a full book of contacts in the industry.
- Show a passion for TV, and a particular interest in how the ways we consume entertainment is changing.
- Have exceptional instincts for high-performing content on social channels and an understanding of how to use social channels to source and promote quality journalism.
- Experience of public and media engagements.
Critical Skills and Competencies:
- Thorough knowledge of the TV landscape.
- Ability to think creatively about new ways to cover TV
- Work quickly and accurately under pressure to tight deadlines.
- High standards of written English.
- Understand i’s audience - in print, online and on social channels.
- Want to contribute to our longer-term publishing strategy, across print, social and mobile.
- Digital publishing skills
- Social media skills
To apply, please complete the application form below with a CV and a covering letter, explaining what you would do with the role and including three examples of your writing, by 23.59 on Sunday 31 March 2019.
Apply for i, TV Editor
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly