The Sun, Deputy Head of SEO - Online
News UK is a company full of talented, dedicated and creative people. We are an ambitious and ever-growing organisation with a passion for storytelling, capturing moments, meaning and magic to make sense of the world.
Our newspapers reach more than 30 million people each week and include The Sun, The Times and The Sunday Times. News UK is also home to Unruly, a global ad tech company, and Wireless, a leading UK and Irish media company boasting independent local and national radio stations.
The Sun Online is the biggest mobile news brand in the UK - and still growing! - with a talented, diverse team who publish the best coverage of news, sport, TV and showbiz, lifestyle and family value.
Our hugely successful SEO team sits at the core of our publishing operation and is constantly evolving, driving search traffic, growing new audiences, and building engagement and loyalty with our readers.
You will deputise for the Head of SEO (currently on maternity leave), overseeing a team of SEO editors and reporters.
You must be willing to take a very hands-on approach to the production and overall quality of content being produced for SEO purposes.
You'll need to ensure the team comes up with subject-area and event SEO strategies, helping them to use SEO and analytics tools to find and interpret data to come up with specific recommendations and reports. You'll also need a good understanding of SEO for a news publisher.
You will work closely with the editorial departments as well as the social, production and commercial teams to drive growth and meet strategic targets.
You will work to keep SEO principles at the heart of all editorial and technical decisions - ensuring we have actionable keyword research, ongoing monitoring of key search terms, and that we're providing specific advice on search trends and content optimisation.
Day to day you will:
- Help to develop and implement the SEO strategy across The Sun newsroom
- Help to lead a team of SEO editors and reporters advising them on the best ways to carry out research, optimise content and interpret data.
- Maintain and develop current editorial SEO workflows and identify new content areas for content creation
- Work closely with the editorial department
- Assist in ensuring SEO best-practice is adhered to across the website
- Monitor algorithmic changes and developments and recommend actions to relevant teams
- Perform regular competitor analysis and identify opportunities to improve and overtake in key markets
What we're looking for from you:
- Digital publishing experience and a good understanding of SEO, particularly around news stories and major events.
- Good knowledge of SEO tools and of how to pull, analyse and interpret analytics data.
- Unflappable under pressure and delivers work at a consistently high standard
- Pro-active and displays a willingness to take on any task
- Positive attitude and good team player
- Takes initiative in order to achieve desired results
- Self-starter, organised and a good problem-solver, able to eliminate obstacles through creative and adaptive approaches
- Experience working collaboratively with multidisciplinary teams
- Can demonstrate an understanding of The Sun brand
Apply by completing the application form below.
The Company is an equal opportunities employer and wholeheartedly supports the principle of equal opportunities for all its employees and for all applicants for employment. It opposes all forms of discrimination in the workplace.
We are a diverse and team so want to maximise every individual's potential to create a productive environment where everyone feels valued, and where talents are fully recognised and utilised.
This means affording equal access to any employment opportunities within the Company according to your ability, without prejudice or discrimination by reason of race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion, belief, gender, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marital status, disability or age.
News UK is home to some of the biggest names in Media, Including, The Times, The Sunday Times, The Sun, Wireless, and Unruly to name but a few.
Wireless itself is also the home to some of the biggest names in radio Virgin Radio, talkSPORT, talkRADIO and some of the leading Local radio stations in the UK and Ireland.
Our newspapers and associated brands are some of the most powerful media brands in the English speaking world, reaching 30 million people each week. They are very different products with different values and different strengths, but all are united by a commitment to independent journalism that connects with our customers.
News UK and Wireless is a company which thrives on pace. Our people stretch themselves on a daily basis, challenging the status quo to produce the best service possible to our readers and customers. We embrace creativity and initiative and we have some of the most talented people in the industry
If you want to work for one of the world's most exciting, challenging and creative media organisations then News UK is the place to build your career.
News UK acknowledges our responsibilities when handling your personal data as part of our recruitment processes to ensure it is respected, valued and protected. For further information on how we collect and process your data and your rights please review our Candidate Privacy Notice on the News UK Careers website.