The Sun, Digital News Reporter - Online | Freelance
The Sun Online is the biggest mobile news brand in the UK - and still growing! - with a talented, diverse team who publish the best coverage of news, sport, TV and showbiz, lifestyle and family value.
Purpose of role:
The Sun Online is looking to bring in first class news reporters to join Fleet Street's most dynamic digital news operation.
The role will be based within the foreign news team, working on everything from agenda-setting scoops and exclusives to long-form human interest stories and breaking news coverage of major international events.
- Produce first class news content
- Turn around stories quickly and accurately; mindful of IPSO and legal issues.
- Bring in agenda-setting scoops and exclusives that resonate with millions of readers around the world.
- Work closely with our global network of stringers.
- Independently build contacts to maintain a steady flow of original news stories.
- Write in a concise and entertaining way in keeping with Sun style but free from cliché.
- Work closely with our picture and video desk to tell stories in the most impactful way.
- Interview people in a range of different circumstances.
- Shift between breaking news stories and feature writing over the course of the day.
- Keep news desk fully informed of changes that arise as stories develop.
Key Skills and Experience:
- Experience of working on breaking news within a fast-paced newsroom.
- Unflappable under pressure.
- A passion for news and current affairs around the world
- Ability to independently identify exclusives and original feature ideas
- An awareness of SEO, social audiences and an understanding of how to recirculate readers within The Sun and keep them engaged.
- Full time availability across seven days - this is not a part time role.
Apply by completing the application form below.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
News UK is home to some of the biggest names in Media, Including, The Times, The Sunday Times, The Sun, Wireless, and Unruly to name but a few.
Wireless itself is also the home to some of the biggest names in radio Virgin Radio, talkSPORT, talkRADIO and some of the leading Local radio stations in the UK and Ireland.
Our newspapers and associated brands are some of the most powerful media brands in the English speaking world, reaching 30 million people each week. They are very different products with different values and different strengths, but all are united by a commitment to independent journalism that connects with our customers.
News UK and Wireless is a company which thrives on pace. Our people stretch themselves on a daily basis, challenging the status quo to produce the best service possible to our readers and customers. We embrace creativity and initiative and we have some of the most talented people in the industry.
If you want to work for one of the world's most exciting, challenging and creative media organisations then News UK is the place to build your career.
News UK acknowledges our responsibilities when handling your personal data as part of our recruitment processes to ensure it is respected, valued and protected. For further information on how we collect and process your data and your rights please review our Candidate Privacy Notice on the News UK Careers website.