Real People, Commissioning Editor
To commission features and negotiate with agencies whilst building trust with them. To keep all story lists up-to-date, oversee and organise our invoices and payments, be on top of the news of the day, making sure to fight for all the best stories for Real People. To break new ground by also developing and originating new ideas, chasing stories as necessary which are appropriate to a weekly women’s magazine.
- To be aware of the editorial pillars, mission statement, readership and brand values of Real People. To get involved, never settle and take pride in contributing to the magazine.
- To chase and buy stories for Real People and gather content by regularly reading UK newspapers, UK and foreign magazines, through personal contacts and so on.
- To always be up to date with relevant people and news stories.
- To understand what makes a feature in Real People and to be fully aware of the content of the opposition.
- To deputise as necessary in the absence of the Head of Content.
- To work with the Real People team to prepare for regular ideas meetings and to significantly
- To present your ideas to morning conference
- Work collaboratively with the Head of Content to ensure there are always a pipeline of stories to use in the magazine in the event that stories fall through.
- Keeping your finger on the pulse of current affairs, developing potential spin off and follow up stories.
- Maintain a good copy flow in line with deadlines.
- To be aware of legal issues, to stay abreast of legal changes, and to monitor and handle legal issues affecting the magazine.
- To contribute to a forward feature’s diary including court cases and important story anniversaries. To report back on this in a timely and comprehensive fashion.
- Along with the Editor and Head of Content, to troubleshoot and anticipate problems on the features team, and possible solutions. To keep all relevant colleagues and editors informed.
- To liaise with picture/subs desk to ensure everything to do with features is running smoothly – both self-originated features and members of the team.
- To work flexible hours as required by the magazine.
- You know the real-life market and love its mix of heart-stopping drama, true crime and triumph-over-tragedies
- To be an unflappable and confident decision maker
- Have hands-on experience of a busy weekly features desk
- Have a sound knowledge of the editor’s code, the latest legal updates and IPSO
- You are a plate spinner, a brilliant organiser and able to keep track of countless agencies, future stories, legal, flat plans and loose ends all at once
- Be comfortable guiding junior writers and managing the teams in house chasing team
- You can stick to the tight deadlines involved in magazine production
- You a people person who loves to listen and you communicate just as well
- You want to bring in the very best features for Real People, build and maintain the best relationships possible with our suppliers and contributors.
Click 'Apply' now.