WIRED, Features Editor
WIRED is looking for an outstanding Features Editor to commission and edit its award-winning long-form storytelling.
The ideal candidate will understand and anticipate the key trends in technology, business, science, culture and ideas and be able to translate these into powerful stories told at 4,000 words and upwards.
Candidates will need to plan the long-term feature content of WIRED, attract new writing talent, work closely with writers to tell stories in powerful, fresh ways and ensure that WIRED content remains a crucial resource for individuals and organisations wishing to understand a fast-changing world.
Key Duties & Responsibilities:
- You’re likely to have an international mindset and understand what’s happening in multiple territories, from Asia to the Americas, and also be interested in a broad range of topics from business to politics, technology to culture, science to security.
- Candidates will also be required to contribute to Wired.co.uk, meaning that they need to have a strong grasp of the daily news agenda, be able to respond quickly to breaking stories, develop their own leads and to be able to pitch timely stories that can be delivered at the highest quality.
- Familiarity with WIRED events and an ability to curate and host sessions is a plus.
- This is a demanding job with significant responsibility and is ideally suited to a candidate who is both bold in their vision and relentlessly curious about how the world is changing.
Essential Skills & Requirements:
- You have experience of commissioning outstanding long-form storytelling that offers readers a deep, immersive experience.
- You are constantly on the look out for fresh, exclusive stories and help to explain how the world is changing.
- You understand WIRED standards in commissioning, editing, accuracy and integrity.
- You have at least five years of experience at either a national consumer magazine or newspaper.
- You are able to work collaboratively with other departments to ensure the highest standards of storytelling across all our channels – from print to video, podcasts to social.
- You are thoughtful about how WIRED can develop new storytelling strategies and how WIRED fits into the media landscape.
- You are able to seek out new voices in order to broaden the WIRED contributor network.
Please click 'Apply' and submit the following:
- A brief cover letter explaining why you are the ideal candidate for the job and what you specifically would bring to WIRED
- Five great story pitches detailing story arc and possible writers
- Two ideas for content packages around a theme, e.g. How Russia Hacked the Internet
- Five examples of long-form stories you have commissioned and edited
- Three people or thematic ideas that should be on the cover of WIRED with brief explanations.