Finance Reporter, The Dallas Business Journal - TX
The Dallas Business Journal seeks a reporter to cover private equity, commercial banking, family offices and M&A in one of the most dynamic markets in the country.
Dallas-Fort Worth is the second largest financial services hub in the nation and the region is home to some of the world’s wealthiest (and most interesting) individuals. Our finance reporter covers it all, from deals and exits to banking giants and credit unions.
The Business Journal places a priority on hiring reporters who aren’t afraid to push back on sources (and especially PR people) to consistently deliver beat-driven exclusives.
To do so, candidates must be able to blend skills such as source building, sharp news judgment, interviewing prowess and the ability to dive into and decipher financial documents.
This isn’t a quick-hit (e.g., transactional) position where the reporter will write three press release-driven stories from the office and call it a day.
The ability to identify and explain complex topics is essential, as is getting out of the office and in front of executives and employees as much as possible. Our best stories come from people, not press releases.
This is a beat that requires a high level of source development and intellectual curiosity, but one that also allows the reporter to write with authority.
At the Business Journal, reporters also have the freedom (and time) to pursue larger investigative pieces, both individually and in conjunction with colleagues.
Our finance reporter is expected to contribute both short- and long-form stories to our news products online and in print.
Specifically, the finance reporter is expected to own every important story on the beat, while using networking events, social media platforms and other community-building outlets to expand and fortify her or his source base and audience.
- Proven excellence in financial or business reporting and writing
- Strong analytical and investigative-interviewing skills
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively
- Ability to relate comfortably to a wide range of people, in person, on the phone and online
- A clear drive to develop sources and build audience
- Proven understanding of news writing, journalistic ethics and story structure
- Ability to leverage relationships with sources to deliver content that differentiates our publication from competitors
- Proven experience building and maintaining a strong source base
- Knowledge of business and finance is essential
- Knowledge of DFW or Texas marketplace is a plus
- B.A. journalism or equivalent work experience
To apply, email a one-page cover letter, resume and links to clips to Managing Editor Anna Butler by completing the application form below. No phone calls, please.