i, App Editor
Reports to: Head Of Audience
Purpose of job:
A newly created role at the UK’s fastest growing, and most trusted, news publisher, the App Editor will curate and optimise content for i’s digital edition - as well at taking a lead role in refreshing the product as part of an ambitious digital investment.
Responsible for timely publishing of stories, this role at the heart of the newsroom would suit a digital native with news editing experience and an entrepreneurial drive to build something new.
i is Britain’s brightest and newest national newspaper and news website. We are currently on a recruitment drive.
Last year the inews.co.uk website grew its audience by 457%, and in 2019 was named the UK’s most trusted digital news brand in research by PAMCO.
The i’s editorial staff has grown every year since its launch in 2010 to match the audience and financial success of the brand across all platforms.
Key areas of responsibility:
- Publish stories to the app written by specialist correspondents and freelance contributors to i’s digital edition in a timely manner.
- Work with the product and tech teams to develop a new i app that delights our subscribers, showcases the best of our journalism, and supports our editorial values - we are concise, fair and we aid understanding.
- Work with correspondents and section heads to prioritise stories published to the digital edition, and ensure all articles go live.
- Optimise content for the app audience, tweaking headlines, standfirsts and adding extra context where appropriate.
- Choose brilliant images.
- Maintain high standards of accuracy and consistency, so all articles published to the digital edition meet our expectations.
- Work with the wider inews.co.uk team to ensure effective communication on publishing progress.
- Work with the Social Media Editor and other section heads to ensure the app is promoted across all available channels.
Qualifications and Experience:
- CMS experience.
- Track record of working for a news publisher.
- Experience of working in a breaking news environment.
- Comfortable with handling pictures, writing captions and crediting correctly.
- Sub-editing experience.
- Understanding of user experience within apps.
- Comfortable working to tight deadlines.
- Command of libel law, understanding of and compliance with Editors’ Code of Practice and IPSO regulations.
- NCTJ (or similar) standard qualification.
- Experience of curating a news app.
- Experience of driving engagement and subscriber growth via digital editions.
Critical Skills and Competencies:
- Digital publishing skills.
- High standard of written English.
- Ability to work with other teams effectively under pressure.
- High standards of accuracy.
- Understanding of what makes news stories of interest to i readers
Please complete the application form below to send your CV and a letter outlining three things you would do to improve engagement and user retention within i’s digital edition.
Closing date: 19 May 2019.