i, Newsletters & Engagement Editor
Reports to: Head Of Audience
Purpose of job:
A newly created role at the UK’s fastest growing, and most trusted, news publisher, the Newsletters & Engagement Editor will be tasked with developing the i reader community, as well as optimising for loyalty across the totality of our output.
More than a newsletter manager, this person will play a key role in editorial planning meetings, ensuring everything we publish is focused on driving meaningful engagement and reader retention. It would suit a data obsessive with experience of working in a fast-moving newsroom environment.
i is Britain’s brightest and newest national newspaper and news website. We are currently on a recruitment drive.
Last year the inews.co.uk website grew its audience by 457%, and in 2019 was named the UK’s most trusted digital news brand in research by PAMCO.
The i’s editorial staff has grown every year since its launch in 2010 to match the audience and financial success of the brand across all platforms.
Key areas of responsibility:
- Work with editorial, tech and product teams to develop a suite of new, interest-based newsletters designed to boost reader engagement and loyalty.
- Design new templates for our newsletters, informed by user testing.
- Monitor audience signals - particularly open rate, click rate, sign-ups, and subscriber churn. Finesse and optimise our newsletter output constantly, based on this data.
- Work with correspondents and section heads to prioritise stories selected for newsletters.
- Maintain high standards of accuracy and consistency, so all articles published to the digital edition meet our expectations.
- Work with the wider inews.co.uk team to ensure effective communication on publishing progress
- Work with the Social Media Editor and other section heads to ensure the newsletter is promoted across all available channels.
- Keep abreast of industry innovations and best practice, to ensure i’s newsletters are as compelling as they can be.
- Be vocal in editorial meetings, suggesting story ideas informed by what newsletter audiences are engaging with.
Qualifications and Experience:
- CMS and newsletter experience.
- Track record of working for a news publisher.
- Experience of working in a breaking news environment.
- Comfortable with handling pictures, writing captions and crediting correctly.
- Understanding of user behaviour around newsletters.
- Comfortable working to tight deadlines.
- Command of libel law, understanding of and compliance with Editors’ Code of Practice and IPSO regulations.
- NCTJ (or similar) standard qualification.
- Experience of editing newsletters.
- Experience of driving engagement and subscriber growth via newsletters.
Critical Skills and Competencies:
- Digital publishing skills.
- High standard of written English.
- Ability to work with other teams effectively under pressure.
- High standards of accuracy.
- Understanding of what makes news stories of interest to i readers
Please complete the application form below to send your CV and a letter outlining three things you would do to improve engagement on the i’s core Daily Briefing newsletters, as well as three new, niche newsletters you would like to launch.
Closing date: 19 May 2019.