Octopus Group, Communications Executive
Octopus Group is looking for a driven, talented Communications Executive that will relish developing their career in an entrepreneurial, fast paced environment with plenty of opportunity to learn.
Octopus is a group of innovative, entrepreneurial businesses investing in the people, ideas and industries that will help to change the world. We are experts in financial services and energy, transforming these markets by offering our customers access to smart and simple solutions that do what we say they will.
Since 2000, we’ve taken the spirit of entrepreneurship into sectors such as venture capital, wealth management, property financing, healthcare infrastructure and renewable energy investments.
We’re also building the UK’s most highly-rated energy supply business, taking on thousands of new customers every day. Octopus Energy is the only Which? recommended energy supplier for 2019.
Today we manage more than £7.7 billion on behalf of retail and institutional investors. We’re employee-owned and have more than 950 talented people helping us serve our customers.
Octopus Energy Investments, Octopus Healthcare, Octopus Property, Octopus Energy, Octopus Investments, Octopus Ventures and Octopus Wealth are all part of Octopus Group.
Our aim is to have an impact in everything we do, and to make a vital contribution to the UK economy by helping people, companies and institutions generate wealth.
We currently manage more than £7.7 billion on behalf of both institutional and retail investors. And we’re always on the look-out for smart, talented people who share our values.
In business, it’s not just what you do, but how you do it. We’ve worked very hard at Octopus to create a culture where everyone understands that the customer comes first. It’s clear in everything we do. In how we design our products and services, in how we answer the phones, in how we treat our people and, most importantly, in how we respond when things go wrong. Personality counts.
Part of the communications strategy for the next 12 months will be finding newsworthy and innovative ways to bring this to life in the media as we work to build brand awareness.
We believe in the power of entrepreneurship and thinking differently. We see ourselves as a company of more than 1000 entrepreneurs: we are always trying to encourage people to come up with new ideas that improve what we do and make a difference to our customers.
About the role:
This is an exciting role for an ambitious, talented PR professional looking to quickly build their career in a fast paced, entrepreneurial company.
The role will be responsible for delivering modern, progressive press office services to our customers, and supporting the wider team in building Octopus’ profile and reputation in its core markets.
Reporting into Octopus’ Communications Director, the role sits within the in-house Corporate Communications team, which forms part of Octopus’ 40 strong Marketing and Communications Function.
Working with the rest of the team, the Corporate Communications team is responsible for building and protecting the Octopus brand as well as championing the use of PR and providing strategic counsel and support across the group of Octopus companies.
This role will be responsible for ensuring we deliver excellent press office services to journalists and our internal stakeholders, supporting the wider team as they develop effective communications strategies to raise Octopus’ profile across its core markets.
Octopus’ mission is to be in every home in the UK by 2030. This is an indication of the scale of our ambition as a business, as well as our desire to be a brand so trusted and loved by our customers that they would recommend us to their family and closest friends bringing us into their home.
We are looking for an ambitious, energised and conscientious individual to provide support across the communications function and improve the efficiency of the press office.
The successful candidate will ideally have at least one year’s PR experience – either with an agency or in-house – and understand the dynamics of a busy press office.
The person in this role will need to enjoy working in a fast-paced environment, multi-tasking, working autonomously as well as enjoying being a team player.
Providing support to the team, they need to be able to identify media opportunities, have a keen sense of what makes a good story and be comfortable having daily contact with press. A history of managing social media content and an interest in digital PR strategies would also be beneficial.
Excellent attention to detail and organisation skills are essential. We are looking for someone who can demonstrate their ability to project manage events and work to tight deadlines.
With the rest of the team, you will be responsible for identifying any reputational risks to the business early on to ensure messaging is managed effectively across all communication channels.
We also need someone who is happy to roll their sleeves up and get stuck into some of less exciting but essential administrative and reporting tasks that are a vital function of a successful press office.
This is a great opportunity for an ambitious PR professional to gain in-house experience with plenty of opportunity to learn. The successful candidate will also benefit from being part of a team delivering integrated communications campaigns across our marketing, media and public affairs channels.
Essential Job Functions:
- Deliver a timely and excellent press office service to the media and our internal stakeholders, including sharing key industry insights and market developments with stakeholders
- Daily contact with target press
- Build up a strong network of enterprise, business, trade and personal finance press and help deliver an imaginative press hospitality programme
- Be responsible for drafting and issuing press releases, and follow up calls to target media to maximise coverage
- Be responsible for quality control on press material such as press briefing documents and releases developed by third parties
- Develop and maintain press lists, news calendars, media engagement records and forward features lists
- Monitor press coverage, share media insights and be responsible for drafting and issuing the weekly internal ‘Octopus in the News’ update
- Help develop and maintain a suite of helpful collateral to support media outreach, including a press welcome pack and media factsheet
- Help prepare spokespeople for media engagement, including drafting press briefing notes
- Help manage our media events programme and attend relevant industry events
- Manage and develop the Newsroom on the website to ensure it is supporting our SEO strategy and driving
- Provide ideas and where needed help tactically manage how PR content is promoted through social media channels
- Take a leading role in developing and managing our metrics reports and KPI tracking
- Be responsible for monitoring and analysing press output and coverage achieved
- Identify and develop additional brand build opportunities through broader marketing activity, including our awards programme, conference and speaker opportunities
Specific Experience / Technical Skills / Abilities:
- At least one year’s experience in a press office – either agency or in-house
- An understanding of the dynamics of the press office and requirements of delivering excellent press office services
- Good understanding of the media and ability to identify media opportunities
- Social media and digital PR knowledge and interest
- Good at building and managing relationships with a range of stakeholders
- Positive, tenacious and can-do approach. Proactive and energetic approach to communications
- Ability to work on your own initiative and as part of a team, and willingness to 'pitch in' as required in a rapidly growing organisation and a large marketing function
- An exceptional ability to multi task and meticulous attention to detail
- Evidence of success when working under pressure
- Great organisational skills and ability to work to deadlines
- Exceptional written and verbal communications skills
- Strong work ethic and excellent academic record
- A basic understanding of the financial services industry would be helpful but not essential
Apply by completing the application form below.