Building, BD & Housing Today, Chief Sub-Editor
Assemble Media is looking for a talented individual to join the Building, BD and Housing Today team as a chief sub-editor.
This chief sub-editor role includes work on Building, the respected B2B title for the construction industry and built environment, including the weekly print publication, website and supplements; its sister title, BDonline.co.uk, which serves the architecture community; and the newly-launched HousingToday.co.uk, which serves the housebuilding sector.
Applicants must have strong layout skills, an eye for detail and the ability to work fast and prioritise tasks. We are looking for someone who combines great organisational skills with having a flair for writing engaging headlines and standfirsts.
The role also requires strong people management skills to be able to run a busy production team.
Principal duties and responsibilities include:
- sub-editing news, comment and features to ensure copy is accurate and fits house style while being engaging and appropriate in tone
- coming up with brilliant layout and headline ideas
- working with the other sub-editors, the editor and art editor on creative cover concepts and lines
- enforcing in-house and external writers’ deadlines and ensuring smooth copy flow
- managing a small team of permanent and freelance staff
- maintaining an overview of the copy flow for 3 websites, 1 digital publication and 1 weekly print publication as well as one-off supplements
- setting and enforcing copy deadlines
- liaising with sales, ad production, pre-press and the printer, as well as all colleagues on the editorial team
- libel and fact checking
- working up page layouts, including cropping and cutting out images
- ·approving pages for print
- uploading content on the website, including covering for the digital editor
- creating flatplans
- liaising with contributors, design professionals and other suppliers
High proficiency with InDesign is essential. Good working knowledge of Photoshop and familiarity with different CMS is also required, and experience using Illustrator is desirable. Excellent communication skills are a must.
Apply by completing the application form below.