ICON, Associate Editor
Established in 2003, Media 10 is the most awarded media and events company in the UK and has a growing portfolio of 30 live events covering design, interiors, lifestyle and construction.
As well as Media 10 being specialists in the events sector, the company’s creative flair produces well-established publications and a series of award-winning magazines and websites.
We not only enjoy what we do, we love it! We are passionate about delivering the very best results and expect our team members to have the same enthusiasm.
ICON is one of the world’s leading architecture and design brands, with a global perspective.
It has grown out of a highly regarded print magazine which now also has a presence across multiple platforms, including digital, social and experiential.
ICON interviews the most exciting and influential architects and designers in the world; visits the best new buildings; analyses the most interesting emerging cultural movements and technologies, and reviews an eclectic range of exhibitions, books, products and films.
Beautifully presented, rigorous and insightful, yet also accessible, ICON showcases the latest and best in architecture and design today and considers its implications for the future.
The Associate Editor, ICON, is a key member of the editorial team and works closely with the Editor to create the print magazine and digital offer.
They will contribute to ICON across platforms, manage the production process of the print magazine and generate ideas for commissioned content.
What is expected of you:
The Associate Editor will be brimming with ideas for themes and features and be equally skilled at making those ideas happen.
They will have a specialist knowledge of design and architecture, and a wealth of established contacts within that world, plus experience of working for a print magazine.
Critically-minded with an eye for accuracy, our preferred candidate will have the skills to push good copy towards excellence; to visualize concepts and to meet deadlines to wordcount.
They will also be an excellent team worker who is able to work in a collaborative environment and with respect for others
In addition, they will be expected to contribute their own features to the magazine and website, so a strong track record in writing is essential.
The Associate Editor will:
- Contribute features, profiles and reviews to the print magazine and iconeye.com
- Assist the editor in planning and commissioning the magazine
- Oversee the production of Icon: e.g. edit copy, manage copy flow, proof reading
- Manage the administration of Icon: e.g. mailing lists, commissioning forms
- Work to develop Icon’s commercial brand extensions
- Represent Icon when required at industry events and on press trips
Our ideal candidate:
We’re looking for an experienced journalist with drive, creativity and production experience across print and digital platforms. A background of working on commercial projects is also desirable.
Our ideal candidate will have all (or most) of the following:
- Specialist knowledge of architecture and design
- Portfolio of strong writing
- Creativity and the ability to evolve ideas from concept to the finished feature
- Track record of commissioning and editing first-class writers
- Industry contacts
- Willingness to travel both within UK and overseas
- Excellent organisational and communication skills
- A collaborative nature and the ability to work in a team
- Experience of liaising with staff and freelancers
- Experience working on a print magazine/production processes
- Familiarity with standard tools eg InDesign and Photoshop
- Commercial awareness
- Experience of creating content to maximize traffic and engagement with target audiences
- Familiarity with using search and social data, plus market intelligence, to generate content ideas for all platforms
- Working knowledge of data and social analytics tools (e.g. Google Analytics, SEO MOZ)
- Familiarity with using standard CMS systems and social tools to post content
What we will do for you:
- Make you feel like part of a family
- Know your name – you’re not just a number here
- Encourage you to develop your skills, strengths and career
- Recognise your contribution and hard work
- You will get to work on the best brands in the industry
- Make sure you’re never bored
- Love our company parties
- Make sure you have fun – because we have fun
Apply by completing the application form below.