The Telegraph, Chief Production Journalist
The Chief Production Journalist will work with the Head of Production to ensure that print content across all sections of The Telegraph is delivered on time and to the highest standard.
- Work with the Head and Deputy Head of Production to ensure that News, Business, Features and Sport print sections are of a high quality and published to hit deadlines, deputising for the Head in leading the delivery of those sections.
- Attend conferences and liaise with senior editors to plan the paper and ensure copy is received on time.
- Work with the Picture desk and team of designers to ensure brilliant layout of pages and choice of images.
- Direct production journalists to ensure copy and furniture is subbed to the highest standard, acting both as a chief sub and a revise sub.
- Work with the Head and Deputy Head of Production to feed back to production journalists at PA.
Essential skills required for the role:
- Display leadership qualities to manage, direct and deploy production journalists to meet print requirements, and have strong interpersonal skills to communicate effectively with senior editors.
- Have a proven track record for driving the print production process forward throughout the day to ensure deadlines are met.
- Have flair for the look of print pages, and astute understanding of page layout and how to choose the right image.
- Have a proven record for accuracy and attention to detail, ability to rewrite copy to the highest standard, and understanding of the Telegraph style guide.
- Have a strong news sense and judgment.
- Be expert in use print production and content management systems.
Additional skills useful for the role:
- Demonstrate willingness to adapt to new ways of working, new techniques and streamlining of production processes.
- Flexibility in working across shifts and in different roles to best help the production team.
- Strong communication skills to liaise with different desks and the PA team.
- Ability to plan ahead to meet deadlines and the capacity to adapt quickly to situations.
- Experience in different styles of sub-editing and working across different sections.
The Telegraph’s goal is to foster a diverse and inclusive workplace and we are committed to building a team that reflects a wide variety of skills, perspectives and backgrounds.
We are an equal opportunities employer, hiring solely on merit and business need. We encourage applications regardless of sex, gender identity, ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, pregnancy, parenthood and disability. If you require reasonable adjustments in any recruitment process with us, please make us aware.