Experienced news and culture reporter for innovative news platform
Founded by journalist and broadcaster Emily Sheffield
Launching in September, our concept is running on Instagram:
Warning: This is not a job for people who like a safe desk job. We are an experimental news start-up, focused on innovation, interaction and engagement, building a news community where everyone feels invested. #ThisMuchIKnow is all about exploring futuristic ways to share the news and seek conversation on the issues that matter.
We can’t wait to meet you and we are looking for an entrepreneurial, passionate, open approach to delivering, finding and sharing stories that grab you and feel important to our predominantly 22 to 37-year-old audience is an essential.
You need to love interacting with people. This is a job that will require you to jump from one medium to the another in any one given day –uploading our take on the daily news to our platform, conducting live interviews to camera, delivering highly informative, digestible takes on leading stories from around the globe. This is a job that will require relentless curiosity, fearlessness and an entrepreneurial attitude, alongside exacting standards.
- For anyone who joins this will be an exciting journey for everybody – we are truly innovating in the news space, launching our platform in the Autumn. This will be giving you access to learn business start-up skills from the best, which will hopefully be invaluable wherever you want your career to go. You need to be a natural risk-taker.
- We have a modern, tech-focused and importantly welcoming culture in an open plan office in Northcliffe House within Brent Hoberman’s Founders Factory tech Incubator - all shared with many of the UK’s brightest minds and most exciting businesses. We have investment from Guardian Media Ventures through the media arm of Founders Factory.
- We are passionate about seeking new voices in the media. TMIK celebrates diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. I am a mother and founder and we will always do our best to ensure your working week works for your family, too.
- Seeking, editing and uploading daily news briefings on our launch platform every day.
- Reactively working on breaking news stories.
- Researching new content pieces – be they for the #TMIK podcast, our app or Instagram. Accuracy, imagination and tenacity is essential.
- Plan future topics/ideas for #TMIK and provide fresh content away from the daily traditional cycle of news.
- Assist with securing well-known and interesting figures to be interviewed by #TMIK either that day as you chase a breaking story or for future topics and podcasts.
- Contribute to arts and general ‘features’ (whatever form they take – video, written, hybrid content) when required, including pitching ideas and developing them with the team.
- Ensure the Instagram feed constantly focuses on producing witty, engaging and topical subjects for our followers.
- Be fearless in your interview and delivery technique, consistently seeking out great stories our community can engage with.=
- One to two years minimum of writing/reporting and/or editing for either print, TV, digital publications, including news and arts/features experience.
- Experience of working to tight deadlines.
- Track record of commissioning/producing/writing quality pieces which have impact online.
- Media law and IPSO knowledge through in-work training, an NCTJ qualification or other journalistic qualification.
- Knowledge of the current media landscape and of both prominent and new voices in journalism.
- Basic SEO knowledge and strong headlining skills for social media.
- Added bonus skills: working knowledge of Adobe Design, video producing or on camera skills/editing skills. Podcast experience. Video production experience. Script writing for video/Instagram live reporting.
Please look at our Instagram and website and complete the application form below to send your CV and a cover letter explaining why you’d like to join us, what you like about TMIK and your career goals.