Reuters Video, Senior Producer - Science & Technology
Reuters, the news and media division of Thomson Reuters, is the world’s largest international multimedia news provider reaching more than one billion people every day.
Reuters provides trusted business, financial, national, and international news to professionals via Thomson Reuters desktops, the world's media organizations, and directly to consumers at Reuters.com and via Reuters TV.
Reuters Video is looking for a talented editorial leader to commission, coordinate, and enhance our science and technology coverage.
The brief is wide-ranging; from new inventions, discoveries and industry trends, to environmental sustainability and solutions to tackle global problems.
You will be an expert in your field with the judgement to propose, develop and interrogate potential science and tech stories. You will identify and help deliver breaking news coverage, but will also provide storytelling beyond the headlines. You understand how to make complicated stories more accessible.
An established leader, you will be responsible for guiding Reuters tech and science coverage on a global scale, and for ensuring we deliver the required number of stories for our successful ‘Innovations’ feed each week.
You will be expected to leverage relationships across Reuters bureaux to increase and improve the quantity and quality of science and tech stories. You must be comfortable ‘hands-off’ – successfully influencing Reuters’ storytelling, rather than shooting and editing for yourself.
Reuters’ clients are multiplatform publishers – from television to social, OTT to audio. You will understand the habits of modern news audiences, with a keen sense of how to produce a story that works as well for Instagram as a TV bulletin. You appreciate the key metrics of success for Reuters’ agency clients and its consumer-facing business.
You are an unapologetic ‘geek’ in your field, who makes the ‘techy’ eminently watchable.
Major Responsibilities / Accountabilities:
- Commission and coordinate Reuters science and technology coverage
- Deliver the required number of stories to Reuters Innovations feed each week
- Work closely with the Digital Editor and regional editors to win key stories - from event coverage, to product launches, to features about our changing world
- Work closely with Reuters’ consumer team to produce engaging, monetisable content
- Bring editorial expertise and rigor to coverage of the science and technology fields
- Ensure Reuters is positioned to deliver innovative and creative storytelling for our broadcast and digital customers
- Work alongside colleagues from text and pictures to help create a truly unified newsgathering team.
The Senior Producer will report to the Digital Editor.
Works closely with the global news editor, regional editors, the operations editor (EMEA), global output editor, global head of online video, and counterparts in text and pictures. All relationships are critical to success.
Essential Skills & Experience Required:
- Senior editorial experience in agency and/or broadcast television newsgathering and production
- Expert knowledge and experience in the science and technology field
- Proven leadership skills and the ability to motivate local and remote teams
- Strong interpersonal skills to leverage success with regional editors
- Strong planning and organisational skills
- Understands the changing media industry and digital landscape and how it impacts Reuters customers
- Excellent communication skills and ability to build relationships quickly
- Ability to drive speed and accuracy
- Uphold Reuters Trust principles of independence, integrity and freedom from bias
- Experience of working in an international news organisation
- Video-editing and strong writing skills
Education / Certifications:
- Education to first degree level is desired
At Thomson Reuters, we believe what we do matters. We are passionate about our work, inspired by the impact it has on our business and our customers. As a team, we believe in winning as one - collaborating to reach shared goals, and developing through challenging and meaningful experiences.
With more than 25,000 employees in more than 100 countries, we work flexibly across boundaries and realize innovations that help shape industries around the world. Making this happen is a dynamic, evolving process, and we count on each employee to be a catalyst in driving our performance - and their own.
As a global business, we rely on diversity of culture and thought to deliver on our goals.
To ensure we can do that, we seek talented, qualified employees in all our operations around the world regardless of race, color, sex/gender, including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, citizen status, veteran status, or any other protected classification under applicable law.
Thomson Reuters is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer providing a drug-free workplace.
We also make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and for sincerely held religious beliefs in accordance with applicable law.
Intrigued by a challenge as large and fascinating as the world itself? Come join us - click 'APPLY' now.
NB: To be considered for this opportunity please ensure that you submit BOTH a CV and Cover Letter. Your Cover Letter should be addressed to “Whom It May Concern” and should detail your motivations for applying to the role.
More information about Thomson Reuters can be found on thomsonreuters.com.