Sunday Mirror & Sunday People, Features Editor
Sunday Mirror and Sunday People are looking for an experienced Features Editor to join their team. As our Features Editor you will support the Head of Features the in day-to-day running of our busy features desk.
This role is ideal for a candidate who is a passionate editor who can source and create engaging pieces across a variety of topics covering everything from showbiz to historical pieces, investigations, real life and consumer needs while reacting to the news agenda to secure big exclusive buy-ups.
We are Reach because it's what we do.
Every day our newsbrands - national and regional, in print and online - reach millions of people up and down the country.
We are the UK's largest news publisher, with influential national newsbrands such as the Daily Mirror, Daily Express, Sunday People, Daily Record, OK! & New! Magazines and more than 100 distinguished regional titles.
Our brands have a long heritage of being trusted sources of news and information, with our editorial conviction and high standards of journalism providing audiences with timely information and opinion across multiple platforms.
Last year we sold 620 million newspapers, with 5.8 million readers of one of our brands each month. Our network of over 70 websites provide 24/7 coverage of news, sport and showbiz stories, with 8.1 billion page views per year.
We average 21.5 million mobile visitors - that's 60% of the entire mobile market. Each month we attract over 32 million unique visitors. That's more than our competitors. You will help us further increase our digital audience into 2019.
- To deliver strong features for the Sunday Mirror and Sunday People which grow and engage our audience, in accordance with IPSO and legal requirements.
- To originate articles in-house at little or no cost to the company as well as speaking to freelancers, press agencies, PR agents and other contacts to buy in features within a fixed contributions budget.
- To generate fresh ideas for the Sunday Mirror and Sunday People in conference every day and at other times when requested, for example forward planning meetings.
- To oversee the Assistant Features Editor in the smooth running and copy flow of back-of-book features including furniture, health pages and columns.
- To present the features list to the Editor and Deputy Editor in conference as required by the Head of Features.
- To run the desk when the Head of Features is not in the office.
The Ideal Candidate
Required critical behaviours:
- A high level of professionalism
- Flexibility in working hours including evenings and weekends as required
- Flexibility in working styles
- Sound judgement and initiative with the ability to make critical decisions in a high-pressure environment
- A sense of responsibility regarding the content of both newspapers and making this content competitive within the market.
- Excellent confidence and communication skills.
- Exceptional attention to detail
Required qualifications and experience:
- Previous experience in a fast-paced newsroom or magazine environment
- Experience of commissioning features and/or working on regional news titles or agencies
- Previous experience of directly managing a team of writers and reporters
- Previous experience successfully managing a budget
- Previous experience of editing other writers' copy
- Excellent contacts within the industry
- NCTJ diploma or equivalent
In addition to competitive salaries, 25 days holiday and a contributory pension scheme, Reach plc have a wealth of flexible benefits on offer.
These include holiday purchase up to ten days per year, cycle scheme, a technology scheme in conjunction with Curry's PC World, car scheme, health cash plan, employee loans and lots of high street discounts!
Our business is fully committed to health and wellbeing in the workplace with an employee assistance programme and trained mental health first aiders across the business.
Reach plc believe diversity brings benefits for our customers, our business and our people.
This is why we are committed to being an inclusive employer and encourage applications from all suitable applicants irrespective of background, circumstances, age, disability, gender identity, ethnicity, religion or belief and sexual orientation.
We will be reviewing applications as they are received so please don't delay in submitting your application - click 'APPLY' now.