Research Professional News, UK News Editor
Research Professional News is looking for a talented UK news editor to head up our UK news team, managing our daily coverage and the news and features of our respected fortnightly digital magazine, Research Fortnight.
Our UK news is read by university leaders and the most influential policy makers in research and higher education
The successful candidate will have the ability to set the news agenda, and a track record in breaking high-impact, off-diary stories. The role is part of a 20-strong editorial team based in London’s Shoreditch, with opportunities for travel in the UK and internationally.
It would suit an established news editor or an experienced deputy/senior reporter with editing experience looking to make the step up. Experience on a specialist news publication, and a demonstrable interest in politics, science or higher education would be a strong advantage.
- Manage the running of Research Professional News’ daily online UK news, managing UK reporters and working with other journalists on the team to deliver timely, agenda-setting news on UK research policy and higher education.
- Deliver a fortnightly news briefing section for the digital magazine Research Fortnight, which brings together the fortnight’s most important developments with analysis and context
- Deliver news on all significant policy announcements and trends for the sector, and regular high-impact exclusives, which where possible attract exposure in the national press.
- Work with the deputy editor and group editor to develop the UK news offering, including through greater visibility of content, new themes and article types, and engagement with social media.
- Develop and maintain a network of senior-level contacts across the sector and represent Research Professional News publication at networking and evening events.
- Break and write stories, including interviews with key players in the sector, and research and write longer-form analysis pieces and interviews as commissioned by the deputy editor or editor. General ideas for high-impact, forward-planned coverage, e.g. special issues, online specials, FOI, investigations.
- Ensure our coverage is of the highest standards of accuracy, clarity and style.
- Mitigate against libel risk pre-publication and deal with feedback/complaints from readers.
- Line manage UK reporters and freelancers, directing their time and effort to ensure all key areas of interest to the readership are covered, all deadlines are met, and the team has contacts across all of these areas.
- Have a clear understanding of Research Professional News’ readership. Ensure news is relevant and informative for them and aligns with the strategic direction set by the group editor and deputy editor.
- Develop reporters’ reporting, writing and other professional skills to enable progression in their roles and careers, giving regular feedback.
- Chair events and discussions; travel in the UK and overseas may be required.
- Professional experience at a news editor level on a specialist B2B, regional or national publication, or at least 2 years at deputy news editor/senior reporter level.
- Minimum of 4 years' professional experience in journalism, including on publications with a daily news output of at least 5 stories/day.
- Proven track record in breaking exclusive news stories.
- Thorough understanding of current libel law and approaches needed to mitigate risk.
- A keen interest in research, policy and higher education – experience covering these fields will be an advantage.
- High levels of literacy and numeracy and a flair for written English.
- Excellent communication skills.
- The ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Professional experience line managing or directing reporters.
To apply, please email a CV, a cover letter outlining your suitability for the role, and three of your best published news stories to the group editor, Sarah Richardson, by completing the application form below.