Research Professional News, Chief Sub-Editor
Research Professional News is looking for an experienced chief sub-editor to run our subs desk in London’s Shoreditch.
They will work as part of a 20-strong news team, overseeing the publication of stories that are read by the key opinion-formers in research policy and that help academics navigate the changing landscape of research and higher education.
This is a role for an experienced sub-editor, with experience of coordinating subbing work across a team.
The role involves running the subs desk (of one in-house and several remote freelance sub-editors), and hands-on daily subbing, across our rolling schedule of online daily news from around the world and our fortnightly digital magazines.
As well as quick-turnaround daily news, the role involves working on longer pieces including features, comment, careers articles and special reports.
The position requires close attention to detail under pressure and the ability to maintain impeccable accuracy.
The successful candidate will have the proven ability to re-work and improve copy, and an eye for a catchy, memorable headline.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage copy flow and subbing process for Research Professional News’ busy daily online news service, and two fortnightly digital magazines: Research Fortnight and Research Europe.
- Management of subs desk, including one staff position and freelancers.
- Sub-editing online news stories and subbing and layout work on news, features and comment for Research Professional News’ two fortnightly digital magazines. Work includes adapting published online copy to the digital magazine format.
- Ensuring articles are published to the highest standards of factual accuracy, with impeccable spelling and grammar, are legally watertight and copy is clear and engaging.
- Working to tight deadlines to ensure online news is published in a timely manner; chasing section editors for copy and ensuring deadlines for publication and proofing stages are met.
- Working outside core hours when the workload demands, e.g. digital magazine press days, particularly busy news days.
- Ensuring copy is published in line with Research Professional News house style and managing the upkeep and review of house style guidelines.
- Providing constructive feedback on copy to journalists.
- Providing support to the production desk during busy times, e.g. sending subscriber email alerts, helping upload magazine content to the CMS.
- Minimum of 3 years' professional experience as a sub-editor on a specialist B2B, local or national news publication.
- Minimum of 1-year experience in a chief sub-editor/deputy chief sub-editor or equivalent role, with responsibility for coordinating work across a subbing team.
- Experience of working in a busy newsroom for an online publication with high daily output.
- Ability to work calmly under pressure to tight deadlines, with excellent time management skills.
- High standard of accuracy and attention to detail.
- Understanding of current libel law and how to mitigate risk.
- The ability to work independently.
- An interest in language.
- An interest in politics, higher education and science.
- Experience of working with Microsoft Office, Adobe Creative Suite applications (especially InDesign) and content management systems.
- Experience of working on weekly or fortnightly digital/print magazines.
- Eagerness to learn new skills.
To apply, please email a CV and cover letter outlining your suitability for the role to the group editor, Sarah Richardson, by completing the application form below.
Apply for Research Professional News, Chief Sub-Editor
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly