Research Professional News, Sub-Editor / Senior Sub-Editor
Research Professional News is looking for an experienced sub-editor to join our team in London’s Shoreditch to work on stories that reach the key opinion-formers in research policy and help academics across Europe and beyond navigate the changing landscape of research and higher education.
This is a role for an experienced sub-editor, who will work across Research Professional News’ online news service and digital magazines to ensure impeccable accuracy and clear, engaging copy.
The role involves sub-editing stories on research policy and higher education throughout the day, covering territories including the UK Europe and the US and work on fortnightly digital magazines.
As well as quick-turnaround daily news, the role involves working on longer pieces including features, comment, careers articles and special reports.
The position requires close attention to detail under pressure and the ability to maintain high standards of accuracy, grammar tone and style.
The successful candidate will have the proven ability to re-work and improve copy, and an eye for a catchy, memorable headline. The position could be filled at sub-editor or senior sub-editor level, depending on experience.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Sub-editing online news stories for Research Professional’s busy daily news service, ensuring factual accuracy, impeccable spelling and grammar, and clear, engaging copy.
- Sub-editing and layout work on news, features and comment for Research Professional News’ two fortnightly digital magazines, Research Fortnight and Research Europe. Work includes adapting published online copy to the digital magazine format.
- Thorough fact-checking of all copy, working with reporters/section editors to resolve errors or ambiguities before publication.
- Spotting areas of potential libel risk pre-publication and working with reporters/editors to address these.
- Working to tight deadlines to ensure online news is published in a timely manner.
- Assisting the chief sub-editor in chasing section editors for copy and ensuring deadlines for publication and proofing stages are met.
- Deputising for the chief sub-editor during absence to coordinate the work of the subs desk and manage the workflow for freelance sub-editors.
- Working outside core hours when the workload demands, e.g. digital magazine press days, particularly busy news days.
- Ensuring copy is published in line with Research Professional News house style and contributing to the upkeep and review of house style guidelines.
- Providing constructive feedback on copy to reporters.
- Managing and archiving files on the server each week.
- Working in the content management system (CMS), uploading images, PDFs to accompany articles etc.
- Providing support to the production desk during busy times, e.g. sending subscriber email alerts, helping upload magazine content to the CMS.
- Minimum of 1-2 years' professional experience as a sub-editor on a specialist B2B, local or national news publication.
- Experience of working in a busy newsroom for an online publication with high daily output.
- Ability to work calmly under pressure to tight deadlines, with excellent time management skills.
- High standard of accuracy and attention to detail.
- Understanding of current libel law and how to mitigate risk.
- The ability to work independently
- An interest in language.
- An interest in politics, higher education or science.
- Experience of working Microsoft Office, Adobe Creative Suite applications (especially InDesign) and content management systems.
- Experience of working on weekly or fortnightly digital/print magazines.
- Eagerness to learn new skills.
To apply, please email a CV and cover letter outlining your suitability for the role to the group editor, Sarah Richardson, by the completing the application form below.