The Independent, Deputy Lifestyle Editor
REPORTS TO: LIFESTYLE EDITOR
The Independent is looking for an experienced digital journalist to deputise on our vibrant and fast-paced lifestyle desk.
The successful candidate will be adept at writing sparkling copy to tight deadlines and seeking out news stories across a variety of sections including fashion, relationships, health, food and women.
They will be well-versed in conducting interviews and crafting unique and interesting features that appeal to our independently-minded audience.
We are looking for someone who will be unflustered working in a fast-paced environment; able to turn around a breaking news story one minute and compile a witty first-person piece the next, and who is constantly plugged in to the latest trends.
The deputy lifestyle editor will be responsible for leading the team of reporters in the editor’s absence, attending news conference and liaising with commercial teams on briefs.
As deputy lifestyle editor you will play a vital role in shaping a key section of this international news brand, reporting directly into Lifestyle Editor Harriet Hall, and working closely with the wider Independent team.
You will also be a skilled editor with a forensic eye for errors and an ability to polish an average article into something worthy of a national newspaper.
- Supporting the lifestyle editor with the running of a busy desk
- Sourcing and writing traffic-driving news stories day-to-day, as well as first-person pieces, interviews and features
- Overseeing commercial campaigns
- Managing the team’s workflow and progress
- Attending daily news conference and presenting ideas and stories
- Close collaboration with all teams at The Independent, from editorial to commercial, sales and marketing
- Able to commission quality features from big-name writers and edit to a high standard
- Being across the planning of key events and occasionally covering them live
- Monitoring and analysing traffic with an eye to grow page views and uniques
Skills and expertise:
- Four years’ experience as a senior lifestyle reporter on a newspaper, magazine or similar
- Previous work in a newsroom preferable
- Excellent writing skills and demonstrable experience of sub-editing copy to a high standard
- Organised and unflappable
- A track record of growing audiences using analytical tools and an understanding of how to drive engagement
- First-rate knowledge of SEO and social media
- Managerial experience
- A knowledge and understanding of The Independent brand
To apply, please complete the application form below to send your CV and cover letter along with five lifestyle article ideas that would work for The Independent audience, along with headlines and an explanation of how these would be ceded out on social to ensure maximum readership.
Due to the high volume of applications we will only be contacting candidates who have been shortlisted and progressed through to the next stage
Hours: Your hours will be 45 hours per week working Monday to Friday
Apply for The Independent, Deputy Lifestyle Editor
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly