Earthsight, Researcher / Investigator
Do you thrive on the excitement of finding things out? Can you draft succinct snappy copy and turn complicated ideas into accessible narratives? Can you scan large quantities of information rapidly, extracting the key facts? Can you cite examples of how your doggedness and cunning have uncovered information that most other people would never have found?
Earthsight is a non-profit organisation dedicated to researching and investigating environmental and social crime and injustice. It uses cutting-edge investigative methods to uncover and expose wrongdoing.
Earthsight is looking for a Researcher with at least three years of experience in a relevant field to join our growing team.
The position will involve extensive on-the-job training, under the tutelage of senior members of staff. The successful candidate is expected to progress rapidly in their level of skills and seniority, and help shape the organisation's direction and development.
The position may suit someone with some experience in journalism, persons with relevant skills from within the timber industry or with experience of working on forestry issues looking for a career change, as well as those with experience working in environmental or human rights campaigning.
Candidates are expected to be able to demonstrate a very high level of intelligence, integrity, resourcefulness and tenacity.
The position is offered as a full-time permanent contract. There is also the possibility that the role may be offered as a job share between two individuals.
Researcher / Investigator
- Carry out desk and field-based research regarding corruption, illegality and human rights abuses linked to globally traded commodities, under the guidance of senior members of staff, with an initial focus on forest-related crime and associated trade in commodities linked to deforestation
- Craft compellingly written features and blogs using the results of own and other’s research
- Carry out other research as required
- Desk-based research is expected to include analysis of trade data, company reports, company websites, satellite imagery, and trading websites; it may also include the development and maintenance of industry sources, and undercover work
- Manage relationships with partner organisations in developing countries
- Assist with general organisational administration, including budgeting and financial management, establishment and maintenance of websites, management of consultants, purchasing, and IT
- Any other appropriate tasks as determined by senior members of staff
- 3+ years experience in journalism, NGOs or relevant industry
- Passionate desire to make the world a better place
- Degree-level education (2.1 or higher), or equivalent experience
- Excellent writing skills and proven ability turn around news reports or blogs within short timeframes
- Strong working knowledge of of MS Office (especially MS Excel)
- Confident, with good interpersonal skills
- Dogged, tenacious and resourceful
- Demonstrable research/investigative skills
- Willingness to travel internationally for extended periods, at relatively short notice
- Right to work in the UK
- Degree or higher degree in a relevant discipline (e.g. Geography, Development Studies, Journalism)
- Some training and skills in the use of GIS software
- Experience in visual journalism, TV production or data journalism
- Foreign language skills (particularly French, Russian, Indonesian, Ukrainian, Chinese, Spanish or Portuguese)
- Formal training, experience or demonstrable skills in photography or film-making
- 25 days holiday; cycle-to-work scheme; contributory pension
Earthsight is an equal opportunities employer and is committed to keeping careers in the charity sector open to people from a range of backgrounds.
Please complete the application form below including a CV (maximum 2 pages), and a covering letter (maximum 1 page) explaining why you are the best person for this role. Shortlisted candidates will be tested on their writing and/or research skills.
Application deadline: 8 September 2019
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Please note although we will consider exceptional candidates for remote working, we are not able to assist with UK work visas.
Earthsight is a non-profit organisation committed to harnessing the power of primary investigative research and reporting to bring attention to pressing issues of human rights and environmental justice.
We aim to get to the core of an issue, using a range of investigative research methods to obtain first-hand, documented evidence of crimes against both people and the planet which is irrefutable and impossible to ignore.
By following the money and tracing supply chains, our research also aims to expose the complicity of consumers and financiers in abetting these abuses.
Our award-winning research and reporting, identifying abuses and tracking the associated products to their end markets, have received high-profile attention and led to changes in the policies of governments, corporations and financial institutions.
More details about our work are available on our website.
Apply for Earthsight, Researcher / Investigator
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly