The Independent, Assistant News Editor
The Independent is looking for an Assistant News Editor to play a key role on its dynamic news desk, the successful candidate will be a team player, with a deep understanding of all aspects of online journalism.
You must be confident leading coverage of breaking stories, driving exclusives, spotting great follow-ups and writing enticing headlines.
- Commission, edit and publish breaking news stories and longer-term exclusives
- Edit the homepage
- Write engaging headlines for all articles, including news, features, analysis and comment
- Work closely and collaboratively with senior news editors and other department heads
- Work with the audience team to ensure articles adhere to key SEO principles
- Coordinate coverage with the US team.
- Work a rota that includes night editing and weekend duties.
Skills and experience:
- At least two years’ experience in a similar role for a newspaper or news website
- A proven track record of editing breaking news under intense deadline pressure
- Skilled at writing enticing headlines
- Understanding of how to use SEO and social media to drive audience engagement
- Continuous Improvement – Works in a smart, flexible and focused way, is open to change and suggests ideas for improvements to the way things are done.
- Collaboration – Builds and maintains positive and supportive working relationships with colleagues. Helps to create an inclusive and professional work environment.
- Building Capability – Keeps own knowledge and skill set current and evolving and looks for ways to continue learning to support the achievement of business objectives.
- Quality Service – Delivers high quality and efficient service and takes account of the diverse customer needs and requirements when looking at ways to improve service quality.
- Responsive Delivery - Works to agreed business goals and objectives and deals with challenges in a constructive and responsive way. Takes personal responsibility for quality of outputs.
To apply, please complete the application form below to send an up to date CV along with three story ideas and a full covering letter with salary expectations.
Due to the high volume of applications we will only be contacting candidates who have been shortlisted and progressed through to the next stage.
Location: You will be based at our Head office in Kensington, London, W8.
Hours: Your hours will be 40 hours per week.
ESI Media is an equal opportunities employer, if you require any reasonable adjustments to complete your application, please do not hesitate to advise us accordingly.
Apply for The Independent, Assistant News Editor
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly