Data Visualization Reporter, Money-Media - NY
Money-Media, a fast-growing, entrepreneurial subsidiary of The Financial Times, is an online media firm focused on being the premier source of news and intelligence for specialized businesses.
Through our extensive suite of products, Money-Media delivers must-have content that helps people do their jobs better and supports the business IQ of hundreds of thousands of readers across the world.
Money-Media is seeking a data visualization reporter. This reporter will cover mutual fund companies, as well as the boards that oversee those products. This reporter will be able to help shape the overall data visualization strategy for two well-respected publications.
We are looking for a data reporter whose skillset sits at the intersection of design, programming and journalism.
The ideal candidate will be able to scrape, clean, analyze and otherwise wrangle data to write stories, produce interactive features and create compelling visualizations online and in print.
This reporter will also commission and edit opinion columns and other contributed content for BoardIQ.
The ideal candidate must be on the cutting edge of data journalism and stay there as the industry continues to evolve.
We need someone who is driven to continue learning and developing their skills to keep up with the rapid pace of change. We will invest in training sessions, classes and conferences to help reporter keep their skills up-to-date.
This reporter will be responsible for conceiving and executing long-term data analysis projects as well as helping other reporters to create data visualizations and use data properly in their work. He or she will also help bulletproof and spot-check work done by other members of the newsroom.
The reporter will also be responsible for sourcing op-eds from experts in the mutual fund industry, so he or she should be comfortable commissioning, coordinating and editing opinion pieces from high-level contributor.
Candidates will need to interact with members of the financial community in different ways: as a reporter writing news, as a researcher obtaining data and as a coach helping contributors who use too much jargon in their writing. Candidates should have experience working on multiple tasks under daily deadline pressure.
Ignites is the preeminent source of news about the mutual fund industry. BoardIQ is the leading publication for mutual fund boards. Both are highly profitable publications with a large, sophisticated and engaged readership.
What experience/skills do I need to be successful in this role?
The ideal candidate will have some or all of the following qualifications. If you don’t have all of these skills, we still encourage you to apply:
- A keen interest in data-driven reporting, visual journalism and business news
- Experience planning and executing quantitative analyses, and using those results to create compelling stories and/or visualizations
- A solid understanding of data analysis tools such as Python, R, Excel, etc.
- Experience working as a journalist, preferably on a daily deadline.
- A track record of working successfully as part of a team
- Strong ability to generate and pitch creative ideas
- A detail-oriented, inquisitive individual who works constantly to improve their skills
What’s in it for you? Culture & Benefits
As an employee, you can expect:
- Generous paid time off including vacation, personal days, sick days
- Comprehensive health, vision, dental, and life & disability insurance for employees and their families
- Competitive 401k and company match, profit sharing, Flexible Spending Account (FSA) and commuter benefits
- Paid parental leave (maternity & paternity)
- Flexible working
- Other great perks such as summer Friday’s, volunteer days and in-office events
- Employee-led networks which promote and celebrate diversity and inclusion in the workplace by connecting, engaging and empowering individuals across the organization
At the FT, we know our most valuable resources are our people and we embrace our employees unique skills, experiences, and perspectives.
We welcome all members of the community to apply regardless of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
Apply by completing the application form below.
Apply for Data Visualization Reporter, Money-Media - NY
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly